qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU patch management

From: Luiz Capitulino
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU patch management
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:29:38 -0300

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 17:31:21 +0530
Amit Shah <address@hidden> wrote:

> On (Thu) Sep 10 2009 [08:47:13], Luiz Capitulino wrote:

> > > Might help; but various developers might have their own staging trees
> > > (as it now is). If things change in the future, this will have to be
> > > modified.
> >
> >  I think he's talking about Anthony's staging, which is the most
> > important one for those submitting patches.
>
> Right; and what I mean is like Anthony has his own queue, others might
> have theirs too. If something along the lines of what Avi suggested
> (having branches in the qemu repo for staging) gets implemented, this
> will have to be redone.

 Yes, the point is: if we have a central tree where patches are
merged before going to master, the address of that tree should be
listed somewhere.

> >  I might be wrong about this but, the Linux kernel way of having
> > people maintaining subsystems didn't work out here yet.
>
> It can easily be done. The process has to scale considering the number
> of submissions we're seeing.

 I agree, with more maintainers QEMU would evolve a lot faster and I think
this is becoming an issue.

 On the other hand I don't think we will have them by distributing
responsibilities, those interested should setup a tree and
start collecting patches.