qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Implementation of multi-touch in linux mobile operating

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Implementation of multi-touch in linux mobile operating system using QEMU.
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:54:20 +0200

On 10.09.2009, at 16:04, Amey Moghe wrote:

Hello all,

Just wanted to add something more to my previous mail I had posted on mailing list. Actually I am studying the input flow from host OS to qemu which is installed on plain linux distro like ubuntu 8.10 which I am using currently since my aim is to add multi touch support so that the guest OS installed inside qemu can interpret multi touch information from qemu. And for multi-touch information on Host machine I am going to use MPX . So in this scenario I came to know by my understanding that there may be two channels for qemu to have inputs from host OS i.e.

1) SDL
2) VNC

3) Cocoa
4) Curses

So,I am confused about which way qemu uses for having input events from host OS. Is it SDL or VNC ? Also please if anybody can suggest me some documentation regarding all the above matter which I can refer to, it will be better for me.

It depends.

If you start qemu without options on Linux or Windows, you get the SDL in- and output (sdl.c) Starting it with -vnc :0 starts a vnc server, giving the IO handling to vnc.c If you use -curses, you'll get a curses backend. I don't know if that does support mouse, it's mostly about text mode. And when you're on Mac OS X, you get a native Cocoa backend instead of the SDL one (cocoa.m).

So qemu has several backends built-in. IMHO having multi touch support would make sense to have in sdl.c first, with an architecture that could be easily extended to the other backends if someone needs it.

Does that clarify the situation?

Alex