qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] patchwork service.

From: Jean-Christophe Dubois
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] patchwork service.
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 08:07:39 +0200

On Tuesday 15 September 2009 00:50:52 Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Jean-Christophe Dubois wrote:
> > I know there is some discussion on how to get earlier feeback to people
> > submitting patches.
> >
> > It seems there already is a "patchwork" service available.
> >
> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/qemu-devel/list/
> >
> > But it is not used as the patch status is not updated for quite a few of
> > them (even if they have been accepted/merged since then).
>
> I looked at the patchwork tooling and it didn't seem to easily integrate
> into my work flow.  It seems to be designed with the idea that you use
> their tools to pull and manage patches.  I don't think those tools will
> scale to the volume of patches qemu-devel sees though.

The linux netdev project is using it and this is also a high traffic mailing
list. So if it works for them it might also work here.

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/list/

> Plus, there's no
> easy way to deal with the fact that other maintainers may not use it.

Well, I don't know about this. It certainly need to be an agreement between
the qemu maintainers on using this tool.

> Now there are a few thousand patches and trolling through would take ages.

Well I guess there is an initial cost to it, but hopefully it might help in
the long term.