qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:18:39 -0500

Dustin Kirkland wrote:
On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
Now that 0.11.0 is behind us, it's time to start thinking about 0.12.0.

I'd like to do a few things different this time around.  I don't think the
-rc process went very well as I don't think we got more testing out of it.
 I'd like to shorten the timeline for 0.12.0 a good bit.  The 0.10 stable
tree got pretty difficult to maintain toward the end of the cycle.  We also
had a pretty huge amount of change between 0.10 and 0.11 so I think a
shorter cycle is warranted.

I think aiming for early to mid-December would give us roughly a 3 month
cycle and would align well with some of the Linux distribution cycles.  I'd
like to limit things to a single -rc that lasted only for about a week.
 This is enough time to fix most of the obvious issues I think.

As a downstream packager of qemu-kvm, I thought I'd mention that the
next Ubuntu cycle is now public:
 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule

The key date here is Feature Freeze, which is February 25, 2010.
That's the point by which we'd need to have a new qemu-kvm (which of
course is downstream of qemu) package in Ubuntu for the LTS 10.04
release in April 2010.

If we did a December release, then the 0.13 release would probably be in the April time frame. Not really ideal for Lucid so I'd recommend that you ship 0.12. The good news would be that 0.12 should be very stable by Feb 25th and since Lucid is an LTS, that's probably a Good Thing.

--
Regards,

Anthony Liguori