qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] need help debugging kqemu issues

From: Chris Frey
Subject: [Qemu-devel] need help debugging kqemu issues
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 17:16:12 -0400

Hi,

I have a fairly basic Fedora 11 install in a qemu VM, with Gnome as the
desktop.  When using 0.10.6, without kqemu, and with an 8-bit depth in
the X server, it is fairly reliable in booting to the desktop.

With kqemu (version 1.4.0pre1 on a 2.6.30.5 vanilla kernel), I have
two visible problems.  It either doesn't let me login (the animated
login hangs part way through), or the X server crashes.

The same happens with 0.11.0.

My question: how can I help debug this?  I'm not a qemu expert, but I can
compile test versions and test all you like.  If anyone wants to try this,
a plain Fedora 11 install using Gnome should reproduce this reliably.
My VM disk compresses down to about 1.5 gigs, so transferring that is
probably a bad idea.

My qemu command line is:

/home/cdfrey/software/qemu/git/rootdir/bin/qemu \
        -boot c -m 256 \
        -hda /home/qemuuser/fedora11.img \
        -cdrom /home/cdfrey/Bulk/iso/fedora/11/Fedora-11-i386-netinst.iso \
        -net nic,vlan=0 -net user,vlan=0 \
        -vnc :$1 \
        -usbdevice tablet

I build qemu with:

./configure --prefix=/home/cdfrey/software/qemu/git/rootdir-$1 \
        --enable-system --enable-linux-user --disable-kvm --disable-vnc-tls \
        --cc=ccache_gcc \
        --host-cc=ccache_gcc

The $1 is the version, then I symlink rootdir to the version I want to test.

Thanks in advance,
- Chris

believed to be clean.