qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:53:38 -0500

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
On 02.10.2009 18:58, Jordan Justen wrote:
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 06:29, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
So I think the best way forward is to hold off on UEFI in mainline until we
can provide a single unified stack.
While it is true that a separate machine type could potentially be
viewed as increasing the testing requirements, I am not so sure.  If
QEMU has a UEFI+CSM solution, wouldn't we still have to test both UEFI
based OS boot and the CSM based legacy OS boot?

Given that you can easily pack coreboot+SeaBIOS+UEFI into one ROM and
have coreboot boot either SeaBIOS (BIOS interface) or UEFI (EFI
interface), wouldn't that solve all problems in one go? You get an
unified stack and don't have to mess around with different firmware
files because coreboot can read in a Qemu machine config option (or
NVRAM/CMOS) and select the interface based on that.

If you want to to work seamlessly, you need to check for the EFI system partition to see whether it's an EFI capable OS and then fallback gracefully to SeaBIOS boot.

The hardware init part would be identical for all variants, only the
interface would differ. coreboot works now and has the benefit of
supporting real hardware as well, so the difference between a setup
inside Qemu and a setup on real hardware is minimal.

Tianocore's OVMF project should provide all the required initialization for EFI on QEMU.

The coreboot solution would also avoid converting SeaBIOS because
SeaBIOS already works as coreboot payload (that's how coreboot
developers call the CSM).

I'll bite, what's the advantage of doing coreboot + SeaBIOS vs. SeaBIOS alone? Forget about EFI for the moment, should be considering switching to coreboot + SeaBIOS for 0.12?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori