qemu-devel

Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Stefan Reinauer
Subject: Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 00:02:59 +0200

Jordan Justen wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 10:30, Peter Stuge <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Jordan Justen wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, it sounds like a useful project might be to develop a UEFI
>>> coreboot payload based on the tianocore.org code.
>>>
>> I believe it might have been done already.
>>
>> http://www.coreboot.org/File:Tianocoreboot.png
>>

> That screenshot mentions DUET which is the tianocore.org UEFI emulator
> that boots on top of a legacy BIOS.  But, it's unclear if it was just
> DUET, or something based modified specifically for coreboot based on
> DUET.
>
> I will not dispute that DUET might be a potential solution to achieve
> UEFI compatibility for QEMU.  (I'm not sure, but I think DUET may not
> be able to boot UEFI OS's at this time.)  However, we thought a
> project such as OVMF was a more direct approach to achieve UEFI
> compatibility for QEMU.

We have DUET running as a coreboot payload with a small coreboot
specific PE payload loader.

DUET is, however, not an emulator, it is executing much of the same code
as all other TianoCore based UEFI implementations.

It is possible to boot an OS just fine with DUET.

Can you explain what you think would be more direct about OVMF than
about DUET? As far as I understand it's another build target of EDK2 but
besides that shares exactly the same design and even 99% of the code.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613
Email: address@hidden  • http://www.coresystems.de/