qemu-devel

Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Jordan Justen
Subject: Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 16:04:47 -0700

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 15:19, Patrick Georgi <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 03.10.2009, 15:13 -0700 schrieb Jordan Justen:
>> I'll admit that this is a fairly dumb argument to make while we are
>> talking about a QEMU release only a few months from now.  But, as UEFI
>> seems to be gaining ground in the industry, I think the sooner QEMU
>> can get this support, the better.
> This smells like self-fulfulling prophecy: Let QEmu support EFI in the
> hope that EFI actually gains ground (for example by better testability
> due to available emulation environments)
>
> So you want QEmu as a marketing device - nothing wrong with saying that,
> right?

I'm not in marketing. :)  But, I do work for Intel, on tianocore.org
and thus UEFI.  I've been working with Tiano/EFI since ~2003, when
Intel started converting its desktop motherboards over to a Tiano code
base.  So yes, I have a bias.

I think (but no, I cannot back this up) that tens of millions of UEFI
compatible motherboards are shipping out each year now.  Microsoft has
implemented UEFI support in Vista and Win7.  Several Linux vendor have
or are enabling UEFI support now.  Mac OS X implements UEFI.

My point?  Well, while I think QEMU support for UEFI is still valuable
to help support UEFI adoption, I think it could have done a lot more
for UEFI if it was done several years ago. :)

On the flip side, I also think it could have done a lot more to assist
Linux to have first rate UEFI support now if it was done several years
ago. :(

-Jordan