qemu-devel

Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Natalia Portillo
Subject: Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 05:10:00 +0100

I don't think that's the case.

EFI actually DOES HAVE ground.

Itanium machines are still worldwide used, manufactured and sold.
Intel-based Macintoshes used them and ALL of their facilities.

The disadvantages can be a lot.
The advantages that I see, are the following (implemented by Apple's EFI):
Hardware drivers, so the OS loader can use ANY hardware present.
Hardware testing easily programable, as you can use the EFI to call the hardware (unlike PC diagnostics that makes direct and real mode calls to the hardware, making them imposible to test different hardware without implementing all variations -SCSI cards, wifi cards, so on-) Filesystem independent bootloader (it just expects the EFI to have the filesystem and disk driver, then searches the disk for the OS loader) Upgradable drivers without firmware patching (so if I add a wifi card, I can put a driver for netbooting it) Extensive input devices support (USB keyb and mice, bluetooth keyb and mice and infrared remote)

I think that this is impossible (if not nearly to) make using BIOS.
I think it is only possible with OpenFirmware or EFI.

And I prefer EFI for the matters of being programable in C (personal distaste for Forth) and the EFI System Partition usability.

A bootloader can fuckinly easy put a good splash without limiting to 12 colors or making calls to the VGA system (for example). What will happen with the GRUB if tomorrow VGA disappears? What a mess...

And I don't work for Intel, IBM, HP, Apple, etc.

In QEMU' side I see that maybe not for 0.12.0 but anyway, EFI is a MUST have if we want to emulate, support, test, patch, anything that uses it, starting with Itanium, continuing with Intel Macintosh, and finishing with all the thousands of PCs (not only from Intel, as I've seen a bunch from Asus and Asrock) that instead of using a BIOS are using a hidden EFI with a boot-by-default CSM.

I'm sure, EFI will prevail over BIOS and sooner or later, also over OpenFirmware.
And we need to move with the world, not against it.

Regards,
Natalia Portillo