qemu-devel

Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 14:31:24 -0500

Patrick Georgi wrote:
With coreboot, seabios and Duet, it should be reasonably simple to
provide a single BIOS image that selects (based on nvram - ie.
configuration) which interface to provide: PCBIOS or UEFI.

That isn't terribly useful for QEMU because it implies that QEMU needs to make the decision about which one to use. If QEMU was capable of making that decision without user intervention, then we could just select to load PCBIOS or UEFI.

If that is just as simple with OVMF, and easier to maintain, then it's
hard to argue with that.

I don't know enough about EFI, but my concern is that down the road, hardware devices will start to exist that require EFI because they implement EFI modules and not legacy option ROMs. In order to support PCI passthrough of such devices, we will need to provide an EFI capable firmware.

It's really just a matter of how long before this becomes a problem for us.

--
Regards,

Anthony Liguori