qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OpenBSD build fixes

From: Laurence Tratt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OpenBSD build fixes
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 22:23:35 +0100

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 09:57:50PM +0100, Stuart Brady wrote:

>> It would be good if we could get these patches into the mainline qemu.
>> From here, there are a couple of more obviously OpenBSD-only patches that
>> aren't suitable for the main qemu tree, and will need to be maintained
>> seperately.
> Aren't suitable for the main QEMU tree?  Why?
>
> Is it somehow a *good* thing for upstream releases not to work OOTB under
> the BSDs?  I really don't understand this...
>
> (Or is the name "ports" being taken too literally?)

In an ideal world, I would love qemu to work out of the box on OpenBSD. Both
the things I'm referring to relate to things that appear simply to be
missing from OpenBSD - for example ONLY_IF_RO prevents x86_64.ld from
compiling, and has to be removed. While I'd be happy to see those removed
from the tree, I assume they have semantic meaning for other platforms, and
that's something we have to live without. As this implies, this stuff is a
little outside my normal experience, but given that no-one else more
qualified has ported a recent version of qemu to OpenBSD [/amd64 in
particular], I guess it'll have to do!

Laurie
--
http://tratt.net/laurie/ -- Personal