qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Hotswap boot disk

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Hotswap boot disk
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:44:26 -0400

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 11:48:52AM +0200, Avishay Traeger1 wrote:
> I'd like to know if it's possible to power down a VM, replace the boot disk
> using hotswap, and power it back up so that it boots from the new disk.
> I'd like to do this in such a way that the qemu process stays alive the
> entire time.  Any suggestions?
>
> (not subscribed, please CC in all replies)

I know you can go to the qemu console and do a 'change' on ide1-cd0,
so perhaps you can do the same on ide0-hd0 (or whatever it is called).

You could try it.

Of course a cdrom is supposed to support ejecting the media.  A harddisk
is not.  Hotswap harddisks do exist though, so maybe it would work.

--
Len Sorensen