qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Booting AIX / First try w/QEMU

From: Natalia Portillo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Booting AIX / First try w/QEMU
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 01:34:08 +0100

Hi,

El 14/10/2009, a las 23:23, IT2 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR escribió:

Natalia, et alia:

   Thanks for getting back to me, and copying me on these emails.

   Follows hereupon, my responses inter alia.

On 10/14/09 3:49 PM, "Natalia Portillo" <address@hidden> wrote:

Give me a day for the testings.

Certainly! AIX 5.3 and 6.1 are truly the OS variants I am interested in, and I'd be preferential to booting up in a manner that provisions the greatest
level of processor emulation at the highest hardware level functional.
As much as I can, as the QEMU's Official OS Support List maintainer :D

Anyway the problem it had long ago was not about the hardware, just
the OHW's OF implementation not interpreting the PReP boot partition.

I do not know what "OHW" or "OF" means, are they both referring to the
OpenBIOS?
PReP, CHRP, PowerMacintosh, Pegasos, AmigaONE, and almost all PowerPC computers used OpenFirmware (OF for friends) as the "bios". OHW is OpenHackWare, was the OF implementation used by QEMU long ago, created by Jocelyn. OpenBIOS is just another, more complete, OF implementation, the one currently in use by QEMU.

The CD I tested has a MBR partition table indicating a bootable
partition (the PReP-way) but the firmware simply did not found a
bootable device.

The CD I tested (as far as I know, I'll check if you tell me how) is an original IBM CD that would be booted on a 520 or the like type of server.
Maybe I have the same dump, could you send me via private email a SHA1 checksum of yours?

If you do get this to work, please do post in the most verbose and explicit
manner the steps you took, as I am brand new to using QEMU.

Thanks for all your time and consideration.

Stuart