qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sheepdog: Distributed Storage System for KVM

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sheepdog: Distributed Storage System for KVM
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:10:30 +0200

On 23.10.2009, at 12:41, MORITA Kazutaka wrote:

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Avi Kivity <address@hidden> wrote:

How is load balancing implemented?  Can you move an image transparently
while a guest is running?  Will an image be moved closer to its guest?

Sheepdog uses consistent hashing to decide where objects store; I/O
load is balanced across the nodes. When a new node is added or the
existing node is removed, the hash table changes and the data
automatically and transparently are moved over nodes.

We plan to implement a mechanism to distribute the data not randomly
but intelligently; we could use machine load, the locations of VMs, etc.

What exactly does balanced mean? Can it cope with individual nodes having more disk space than others?

Do you support multiple guests accessing the same image?

A VM image can be attached to any VMs but one VM at a time; multiple
running VMs cannot access to the same VM image.

What about read-only access? Imagine you'd have 5 kvm instances each accessing it using -snapshot.

Great project btw!

Alex