qemu-devel

RE: [Qemu-devel] Support for new target emulator

From: Boyapati, Anitha
Subject: RE: [Qemu-devel] Support for new target emulator
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:20:43 +0200

> On 23.10.2009, at 12:50, Boyapati, Anitha wrote:
>

> Luckily Uli just added support for s390x, so you can take a look at
> his patchset and see what needs to be done.

Yes. Recent S390x support should give us a good idea.

> The reason you should try to do things on Linux is that it's a lot
> easier to implement a user-mode target than a system emulation target.
> So if I were you, I'd start off by implementing an AVR32 Linux
> userspace target. Apart from the syscall translation that should be
> almost completely a subset of the system emulation.
>
> Once you have found your user mode emulation to work, you can start
> implementing the softmmu and privileged opcodes. Also, you'll need
> some sort of "machine" you're running on then. So if I were you again,
> I'd implement a typical AVR32 developer board emulation.

This definitely sounds logical. Thanks for the immediate response.

> It's great to see someone from Atmel actually taking on the challenge!
> I'd love to see AVR32 support in Qemu. It's FWIW the only completely
> missing major target.

It was in queue for sometime now. As there is very little support for AVR32
emulation, it has become increasingly important to have a full-fledged AVR32
emulator. Hence QEMU.

Regards
Anitha