qemu-devel

RE: [Qemu-devel] Support for new target emulator

From: Boyapati, Anitha
Subject: RE: [Qemu-devel] Support for new target emulator
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 19:05:09 +0200

> Btw now that I have someone from Atmel who apparently knows the
> architecture:
>
> Would virtualization work on AVR32? I mean, is there anything that
> would keep you from running kernel code in user mode and just trap
> everything?

Some attempts are going on with AP7 series. It is not the processor mode that
poses a problem but the memory limitation. Memory footprint is the fat issue.
Despite the fact that AP7 series has MMU and allows external 16-bit SRAM for
additional memory, experience shows that virtualization still remains a fairly
big challenge.

UC3 series have no MMU at all. Except for UC3A, no other series has extended
memory support either. AFAIK, it is mostly a closed alley.

Anitha