qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Cross-debugging support in QEMU using GDB

From: Boyapati, Anitha
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Cross-debugging support in QEMU using GDB
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:20:33 +0100

I have couple of doubts w.r.t cross-debugging in Qemu.

(1) Can Qemu be run without OS support? If so, can I know some examples where
this has been already done?

(2) Can Qemu be used like a simulator to carry out cross-debugging, typically
running a dejaGNU for a target X (again without an OS support)?  The
documentation page http://www.qemu.org/qemu-doc.html#SEC1 refers to GDB usage
with linux image. I would like to know if the same can be allowed for other
cross-compiled executables. Essentially, what I am looking for is something
like,
        qemu-x -s <any_ELF_executable> [options]
        targetx-gdb <any_ELF_executable>

where qemu-x is a user mode qemu for target X.

More on (2): if there is no OS, then I think a small application like
bootloader should probably be present to launch the cross-compiled executable
on to Qemu. Any further suggestions on how to make (2) possible?  All the
some form or the other.

Thanks
Anitha