qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC 0/7] QError v1

From: Vincent Hanquez
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC 0/7] QError v1
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 12:28:47 +0000

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 06:33:15PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 10/30/2009 06:15 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> If we're going to use JSON we should be 100% compliant with the JSON
>> spec, not extend it. By adding custom QEMU extensions, we loose the
>> ability for programming language to trivially talk to QEMU using a
>> standard JSON parser, and instead everyone has to write custom client
>> side code yet again.
>
> The single-quoted-string extension is just to be used internally to ease
> writing JSON templates in C.  All emitted text will go through the JSON
> encoder, which will be conservative (no extensions) for the reasons you
> mention.

Are you going to have a mechanism to turn off the extension when the parser is
parsing from external source then ?

because otherwise it means that qemu is accepting a superset of JSON; so how
long before client start by mistake doing the same thing instead of using
conformant JSON ?

I really can't imagine where typing \"..\" instead of '..' for a couple of
strings (10, 30 at most ?) make this single quote string a necessity.

--
Vincent