qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PC machine types switched to SeaBIOS/gPXE

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PC machine types switched to SeaBIOS/gPXE
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 14:15:33 +0100

Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 11/02/2009 02:51 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:
>> Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to let everyone know that I've switched the PC machine
>>> type to SeaBIOS and gPXE.  SeaBIOS is a port of the Bochs BIOS to GCC,
>>> by Kevin O'Conner, along with quite a lot of clean up and new feature
>>> work.
>>>
>>> gPXE is the new development tree of etherboot which is now
>>> deprecated.  We've done a lot of testing of and while there are a few
>>> outstanding issues, almost everything seems to be working okay.
>>>
>>> Some known issues:
>>> o e1000 pxe booting doesn't seem to work
>>> o gPXE does not like the slirp tftp server
>>> o SeaBIOS doesn't support CPU hotplug (not an issue for upstream qemu)
>>>
>>> I've renamed the old pcbios to pcbios.bin.  If you suspect a bug in
>>> SeaBIOS, you can use "-bios pcbios.bin" to try with the old BIOS in an
>>> effort to debug.
>>>
>>> I want to thank everyone who helped make this all happen.  It was a
>>> big effort and I think it's going to be a really nice feature for the
>>> 0.12.0 release!
>>>

>> -kernel (w/ Linux) breaks.
>>

> What do the dumps mean?  when are they taken?

They are taken with -d in_asm,cpu,int after doing:

$ ./x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 -kernel ../kvm/arch/x86/boot/bzImage

with a fresh checkout from your kvm kernel tree (make defconfig) and a
fresh git checkout of qemu (./configure --target-list=x86_64-softmmu)

They basically mean that with SeaBIOS the Linux loading code is trying
to jump off to zeros while at the same place there is useful data using
pcbios.bin.

Alex