qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [sneak preview] major scsi overhaul

From: Hannes Reinecke
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [sneak preview] major scsi overhaul
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:52:43 +0100

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On 11/07/09 00:09, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>>   Hi,
>>
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/kraxel.git/shortlog/refs/heads/scsi.v6
>
> Pushed an update, same branch.
>
>> What needs to be done?
>>
>> (1) Better patch descriptions.
>> (2) Submit patches to the list for review.
>
> Still to do.  Also:
>
>  - fold incremental fixes into the original patches.  Will happen next
>    time I rebase the patches.
>  - Also SCSI_XFER_* will be loose the META/DATA separation, it will
>    only be "none / from device / to device".  Also planned for the next
>    rebase.

Thanks. I'm rediffing my megasas driver.

I still don't quite agree with the new scsi callback, which has
just the SCSIRequest as an argument. So when supporting more command
queueing we have no idea to which (internal) request structure
the SCSIRequest belongs, and still have to do a lookup.
Which is painful. Can we have a second 'void *arg' argument
to the callback which will allow us some driver specific
pointer?

>> (3) Switch over lsi to the new interface.
>> (4) Zap old interface, killing tons of dead code.
>> (5) Final cleanups.
>
> All done now.  So the final code tree is almost where I want to have it,
> although the patches series need some more work to be review-able.

I have two more patches here, one to support more than 8 SCSI devices.
And another one updating the scsi-generic infrastructure to latch
on any device supporting SG_IO.
Will be posting them soon.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
address@hidden                        +49 911 74053 688