qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU redesigned for MPI (Message Passing Interface)

From: Mulyadi Santosa
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU redesigned for MPI (Message Passing Interface)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:01:38 +0700

Hi Victor...

On 11/13/09, Victor Vasilchenko <address@hidden> wrote:
> The only BIG question - what virtualization software can support MPI to
> effectively work on cluster ?
>
> I am asking this question to QEMU team cause I believe QEMU can be the one.
> If you have any ideas or experiments or information - please share with me.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Victor.

If you check through Qemu list archieve, you shall see that there were
more or less similar question: parallelization of Qemu. Most of the
answers are: it can be hardly done. AFAIK, this is due to how dynamic
translation is done... you need (most of the part I guess) almost 100%
serialization.

This doesn't mean it is entirely impossible, I just said it's quite
hard. Even though the job is mostly code copy (e.g x86 to x86), you
still need to be careful when you hit i.e interrupt disabled code
region. That's all I can remember though...

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant