qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and other beasts
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 07:04:08 -0600

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
On 11/23/2009 03:17 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
You mean, each device would have multiple sections?  We already use
chunks for each device state.

If they want to, yes.

We only migrate things that are guest visible.  Everything else is left
to the user to configure.  We wouldn't migrate the state of a RNG
emulation provided that it doesn't have an impact on the guest.

The project doing lockstep virtualization would need to migrate it, for example.

Lock step is an entirely different beast. The live migration protocol is not suitable for it.

By definition, anything that is guest visible is important because it
affects the guest's behavior.

Yes, but vendors want backwards-compatibility whenever possible. Anything that is guest visible is important, but some things are less important than others (or they wouldn't have been overlooked in the first place).

I disagree. Everything is equally important if we want migration to be correct.

I don't see how backwards compatibility fits into this picture though. The only argument I've heard for a change here is forwards compatibility which is not something I would ever expect any vendor to want to support.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori