qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and ot

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and other beasts
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:30:20 +0100

On 11/23/2009 04:22 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
As far as I remember the two general's problem talks about unreliable
channel, not unreliable nodes. Why not having destination send ACK/NACK
to the source when it knows that migration succeeded/failed. If source
gets NACK it continues, if it gets ACK it exits, otherwise it stays in
paused state. Yes, there are worst case scenarios where this will not work,
but it will not be worse then what we have now.

Also, this can be done in a per-protocol manner. TCP and Unix socket migration would support it, while exec (and maybe fd) migration would not.

Paolo