qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and othe

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and other beasts
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:55:15 +0200

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 07:45:13AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>>> This is a pretty normal policy (backwards compat but not forwards compat).
>>>

>> No one is asking that old qemu magically understands new format. It
>> would be enough that new qemu is able to migrate to a format that old
>> one understands.
>>

> I've got no problem with that provided it's something explicitly
> requested by the user.  This requires no migration protocol change
> though so if this is what folks are asking for, why is this thread
> focused around changing the live migration protocol?

I think the claim is that a section-based migration
protocol would make implementing this easier than
version-based one, especially for downstream which might
cherry-pick a feature from a new release to an old one.

It seems the requirement discussion and the implementation
discussion are going on together in this thread.