qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and other beasts
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:51:44 -0600

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
On 11/24/2009 06:08 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>  The external version translator tool could support arbitrary
> conversion between the whole NxN matrix of versions (including distro > hacks), or just those that RHEL happens to use. The tool would not be > limited to QEMU development environment, it could use databases, XSLT,
>  SOA or be written in C#.
Yea, maybe cross-hypervisor migration could be made to work:)
All that would be possible if the migration protocol would
be specified at some level. As it is, the protocol
really dumps out internal infromation about current
qemu implementation, and it seems that making
it a separate project would just slow us down.

We have Juan's VMState work to start from. If we can take it a step further and use anything (including CPP) to make the primary representation of state an XML document or anything like that (and convert it back to VMState structs at build time), it would not be a huge work, and it would give important benefits.

Like adding tremendous complexity for little to no gain.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :-)

Regards,

Anthony Liguori