qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and other beasts
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:59:58 +0100

On 11/25/09 14:40, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

We could add a DeviceState->savevm field and make that available as
property for devices which need to support multiple versions.  Then you
we can use the compat properties to switch back to the older format with
-M pc-0.10.

I'm confused sorry. Of course when you want to migrate to qemu 0.10
you must have a compatible machine. And savevm format has nothing
to do with it IMO, so MSI is orthogonal to this discussion.
It just shows that it was smart not to save MSI state when
MSI is not present (/me pats self on the back).

In this thread we were discussing changes like pvclock bug,
where we change savevm format without changing the machine,
or almost without changing the machine.

If 0.12 has this fixed (and thus a new version) and 0.11 hasn't, then you'll want -M pc-0.11 use the old (buggy) savevm version. You have to stay bug compatible otherwise you can't migrate to the old buggy version because the old qemu can't handle the new format.

Could be implemented via DeviceState->savevm as outlined above.

cheers,
  Gerd