qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [FOR 0.12 PATCH v2 0/3] Replace device names containing whi

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [FOR 0.12 PATCH v2 0/3] Replace device names containing whitespace
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 17:07:50 +0100

Device names with whitespace require quoting in the shell and in the
monitor.  Some of the offenders are also overly long.  Some have a
more convenient alias, some don't.

The place for verbose device names is DeviceInfo member desc.  The
name should be short & sweet.

This patch gets rid of the spaces.  It normalizes names it touches to
lower case with '-' separators.  This seems to be the most common
style.  If you want me to normalize all device names, I can do that.

On naming style: we have 187 device names.  41 of them use upper
case. 40 use '-' as separator, 39 use '_', 19 use ',', and 30 use
space.  10 of them use two different separators simultaneously.

I checked every use of DeviceInfo members name and alias to find places
that use it for purposes other than naming qdevs.  They are:

* Some NIC initialization functions pass the qdev name to
  qemu_new_nic() parameter model.  It ends up in VLANClientState
  member model.  I believe changing that from long description to
  short name is an improvement.  None of the devices using
  qemu_new_nic() that way get their names changed here.

* usb_qdev_init() copies the qdev name to USBDevice devname.  Gets
  overwritten for usb-host devices, but not for the others.  This is
  what Gerd pointed out.  I fixed it just like Gerd recommended.

Markus Armbruster (3):
  qdev: Rename USBDevice member devname to product_desc
  qdev: Separate USB product description from qdev name
  qdev: Replace device names containing whitespace

 hw/bt-hid.c      |    4 ++--
 hw/cirrus_vga.c  |    5 +++--
 hw/grackle_pci.c |    4 ++--
 hw/ide/cmd646.c  |    4 ++--