qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] TCG is hard to understand!

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] TCG is hard to understand!
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:21:21 +0100

Hi,

Am 10.12.2009 um 17:44 schrieb Jun Koi:

I am trying to understand how TCG works. For example, I look at the
LLDT insn on x86.

In target-i386/translate.c, we translate LLDT to TCG code, like below:

static TCGv_i32 cpu_tmp2_i32; // 1
gen_ldst_modrm(s, modrm, OT_WORD, OR_TMP0, 0);   // 2
gen_jmp_im(pc_start - s->cs_base);                                // 3
tcg_gen_trunc_tl_i32(cpu_tmp2_i32, cpu_T[0]);                // 4
gen_helper_lldt (cpu_tmp2_i32); // 5

This is quite confused. I understand that:
[...]
- Line (4) generate the code to copy cpu_T[0] to the (local) variable
cpu_tmp2_i32.
However, as tcg_gen_trunc_tl_i32() put the *value* of that variable,
but not its *address*, into the generated code, I dont see how next
line (5) can generate code that use the same variable.
Clearly there is no connection between cpu_tmp2_i32 on line (4) and
line (5), so how the generated code works here??

Line 4 generates code to truncate the value from the source associated with cpu_T[0] and put it into the destination associated with cpu_tmp2_i32, which may be a general-purpose register on PowerPC for instance (i.e., not an address). The connection between line 4 and 5 is that cpu_tmp2_i32 has as its value the same identifier (sort of a handle), allowing TCG internal code to lookup its location.

Btw if the code confuses you, cpu_T[n] is actually a leftover from the dyngen to TCG conversion. Feel free to provide patches replacing the remaining occurrences by individual local TCG variables if it helps your understanding. :)

Andreas