qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Spice project is now open

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Spice project is now open
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:46:55 -0600

Izik Eidus wrote:
I personaly dont like mjpeg, and yes in the end of the day you can add
the video streaming into vnc, but what is the point here?

What I'm trying to understand is, what can we do with Spice that we couldn't possibly do with vnc. That means understanding each feature and then figuring out if there's a vnc analog.

If there are compellingly unique features to Spice that can't be duplicated in vnc, then it's a no brainer. If you can do most things in vnc but it would be hackish whereas Spice makes it all elegant, then provided we can merge Spice without a huge amount of pain, then it's a net win.

However, if we need to make a few changes to vnc in order to get the same performance as Spice, then it's not quite as clear that it's what we should be using.

We're talking about a major change here. There is a ton of management software that assumes vnc today. Even though there are Spice clients out there, there are embedded vnc clients in certain tools today along with java applets.

That's not to say we shouldn't embrace Spice, we just have to make sure we have a good reason to.

We acctuly want to kick away that video streaming, and move into the
DirectX and X video extentions video support (that will be made using
the qxl driver) - will give much better performence.

Okay, I suspect we're in agreement here then.

By the time we get to video memory, the display server has already straightened out what portions of the screen are visible and what aren't. It will not render a hidden window and then render another window on top of it.

I dont understand, if you have applciation that draw Rectangle, and
just another Rectanlge on top of it, wont it hide it?, doesnt we want
just to send the newest Rectangle?

If you're using something like gdk, the toolkit double buffers windows by default and does a single flip on expose. So this sort of thing never makes it way to the X server. But the other point is, if you draw a rectangle with gdk, all the X server ever sees is the drawing of an image.

Well any driver can use what ever spice commands it want, the X driver
doesnt have to use all the spice commands, what is so bad about that?

What I'm asking is what's the performance of the X driver vs. say, VNC? Do these high level operations really make sense for a Linux guest if we cannot ever implement them in an X driver?

I can see where this is a win with Windows because you can hook into GDI, but I'm not sure that this could ever do better than say, NX without something really clever or really deep integration with toolkits.

Spice is not protocol for just windows or X or whatever, it id display
protocol that implment common display commands that can be used over
every display system.

Are there plans to integrate Spice support in gdk (or cairo)? I think that would be required to get performance parity with Windows.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori