qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: approaches to 3D virtualisation

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: approaches to 3D virtualisation
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:23:53 -0600

Juan Quintela wrote:
Dave Airlie <address@hidden> wrote:
Current existing solutions in the area:
a) VMware virtual graphics adapter - based on DX9, has an open
KMS/Gallium3D driver stack recently released by vmware, has certified
Windows drivers and has a documented vGPU interface (it could be
documented a lot better)
http://vmware-svga.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vmware-svga/trunk/doc/gpu-wiov.pdf?revision=1

is a good whitepaper on the different 3D virtualisation approaches and why
vmware picked what they did also.

Dave.

I have zero clue of 3D, but for the qemu part, vmware_vga is the "nicer"
driver.

I like the design of the vmware_vga driver but it has one critical flaw. The Windows drivers has a EULA that prohibits their use outside of VMware.

Without reasonably licensed Windows drivers, I don't think it's viable.

I'm hoping QXL can fill this niche.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori