qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Spice and legacy VGA drivers

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Spice and legacy VGA drivers
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:35:24 -0600

Izik Eidus wrote:
What you mean? how can it compress it? or what method?

When there is no driver installed, we use compression that based on
LZ...

Okay, that's what I was asking. I'm curious because during guest installation, I assume that even if you're using QXL, you are still stuck in VESA mode.

I'm curious if LZ on it's own is significantly different than some of the vnc encodings. Both ZRLE and Tight have some pre-encoding techniques that introduce a palette and in the case of Tight, also support efficient gradient encoding. The idea is that you end up with much more compressable data this way.

It's the sort of thing I think would be interesting to measure. I think being able to use VNC style encodings could also be interesting for Spice in order to improve this "legacy mode" use-case.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori