qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Spice project is now open

From: Dor Laor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Spice project is now open
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 00:41:02 +0200

On 12/12/2009 09:48 PM, Izik Eidus wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:26:30 -0600
Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  wrote:

Izik Eidus wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:40:21 -0600
Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  wrote:

FWIW, I don't see any reason why Spice couldn't be made to be
separate from guest emulation.  I think it would just require the
right interfacing in qemu.  I think that's purely an implementation
detail.

The QXL device is one of the core compoments of spice..., how can
you separate it from the guest visible state? (it is pci device)

How does live migration work then?  Do you have to query libspice for
it's state?  Does it return an opaque blob?  How can it integrate
with VMState since libspice doesn't have any knowledge of something
like VMState?

QXL transfer the device states by itself using qemu migration
mechanisem.

The spice server just need that the pci memory (and the qxl ram/rom
state) will be migrate. (From the point of view of guest visible state)

All this guest visible states are transfered by the qxl device using
qemu.

In addition, the src spice server notifies the client on the migration execution and at the end of the migration it commands it to switch to the destination. It even passes a one time password session key.

Does vnc has that?

If you're interested of having a basic vnc mode, it will be much more easier, cleaner and faster to do the opposite, like Mark suggested -
Add a basic vnc mode to spice.
That said, it shouldn't be a merge criteria, let's start with qxl and vdi, and than the spice library.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori