qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: qdev property bug?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: qdev property bug?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:11:59 -0600

Alexander Graf wrote:
Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 12:55:28PM +0100, Alexander Graf wrote:
Am 14.12.2009 um 11:59 schrieb "Michael S. Tsirkin" <address@hidden>:

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:16:34AM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
On 12/14/09 10:44, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
No, it did not even start booting the kernel. Just gave me blank screen.
[ testing ]

Oh. That is something completely different. A bug in the rom loader. It fails to fit both e1000 (default nic) and virtio-net boot roms into
the option rom area and bails out (before loading seabios).  vl.c
doesn't check the return value and happily continues (without bios).
Which doesn't work out very well ...

With two identical nics the (single) rom fits and qemu boots.

Hmm.  Of course vl.c must be fixed to check the return value.
Yes.

Not sure how to deal with the rom size issue. The gPXE roms look quit
big compared to the older roms we had.
Hmm, it's a regression then ...
How does real hw handle this? I'm pretty sure most servers these days use more option rom space than this. They usually have some onboard raid bios, external storage, on-board nic, pci nic, ...
Real hardware might do several things I know about
- option rom is typically small.
- option rom is not loaded always (BIOS option), or not for all cards.
There are might be other tricks.

There are probably other tricks. I was booting up a machine that had
like 5 options roms going through their initialization that all weren't
exactly small.

So there must be some way to just have more option rom space.
What do you mean?

Well, what's keeping us from having 5 MB of option roms?

For starters, option roms run in real mode when you only have 1MB of addressable memory :-)

Implementing anything else would just be a waste of time. It'd break again when ppl do device assignment.

Alex
We need some solution for 0.12 though IMO.
This does not need to address device assignment,
but it must be simple.

Agreed. If there is a solution that gives us the chance to support an
arbitrary number of option roms that wouldn't take forever to implement,
I'd rather take that one though.

For 0.12, we just need to fail gracefully (meaning stop loading option roms when we run out of room). It's not a regression compared to 0.11.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori