qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: qdev property bug?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: qdev property bug?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:25:53 -0600

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

Further, we should error out when device is added.
Doing this during boot is way too late, management
won't be able to understand such errors and
won't be able to recover.

I don't quite understand this.

In 0.11, we never loaded option roms unless a user specified -boot n. If a user specified -boot n and used more than one nic type, I'm fairly certain it would error out during start up because it would run out of option rom space. Maybe it required three types of nics, but the point still remains.

In 0.12, we always load the option rom for a PCI device. An easy solution here would be to just gracefully handle the case where we ran out of option rom space and (silently) stop loading additional roms. With respect to -boot n, it makes the behavior buggy (you cannot boot from the second nic) but my original point is that that is not a regression from 0.11.

For 0.13, we should probably allow a user to suppress option rom loading for a given PCI device. The limited space is a pretty good justification for that.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

--
MST