qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Spice project is now open

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Spice project is now open
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:40:13 +0100

On 12/12/09 23:35, Dor Laor wrote:
2. VDI (Virtual Desktop Interface)
http://www.spice-space.org/vdi.html
It's an abstraction layer for graphics/keyboard/mouse/sound
/usb/serial.
We need it anyway regardless of spice. What is our user like to
switch from vnc to SDL on runtime? It's good for usb-over-ip for
remoting, for various mouse modes, etc.

What does spice need which isn't present in qemu today?

You can start qemu with both sdl and vnc enabled. Graphic output is sent to both. Keyboard and mouse input is accepted from both. Sound via vnc works too.

What doesn't work: usb + chardevs (i.e. serial console), so we need some interface here. For graphics spice probably needs a different interface than the existing for a stupid framebuffer with copyrect op. I don't see a need for new keyboard/mouse/sound interfaces though.

cheers,
  Gerd