qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] cpuid problem in upstream qemu with kvm

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] cpuid problem in upstream qemu with kvm
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:18:33 -0600

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
This might help 32 bit guests, but not guests with 64 bit
kernel and 32 bit userspace (my case) because all 64 bit
CPUs advertise syscall bit in cpuid. Thus 64 bit guests
do not seem to even bother checking this bit:
AMD + 64 bit -> syscall.

Okay, I don't see a great option other than migrating the vendor_id string.

Otherwise, cross vendor migration will not work by default. Maybe that's not a problem but if so, we really should change the default cpu model to be much more aggressive about exposing host features.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori