qemu-devel

Re: [SeaBIOS] Proper support for PCI-based option rom loading (was Re: [

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [SeaBIOS] Proper support for PCI-based option rom loading (was Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: qdev property bug?)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:41:33 -0600

Kevin OConnor wrote:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Avi Kivity wrote:

        bochs bios required all 128kB, so this is probably a leftover.

    This is apparently well defined in the PIIX spec.  There is a bit
    of a difference between the lower half and upper half of the BIOS
    region though and I expect this is part of what the problem is.
     FYI, the following patch works.  Surprisingly, we only need to
    restore the 0xe8000..0xe8fff region.  Still trying to understand
    what's happening.

SeaBIOS is currently using over 64K of space. So, it is extending into the e-segment
and thus needs to have the e-segment copied properly (I missed that in my
earlier email).

Okay. So I assume this is something that SeaBIOS needs to do? I've been trying to understand the origin of:

// Need to copy optionroms to work around qemu implementation

What is it that we're doing wrong in the qemu implementation? If it's the lack of PCI option loading, then I guess we're okay post my changes provided that SeaBIOS can take care of what it needs in the e-segment.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori