qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: SVM support in 0.12?

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: SVM support in 0.12?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:34:27 +0100

Am 18.12.2009 um 17:52 schrieb Jun Koi <address@hidden>:

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:

Am 18.12.2009 um 03:39 schrieb Jun Koi <address@hidden>

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Jun Koi <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

I am running latest Qemu 0.12-rc. My guest VM runs Linux kernel 2.6.31.

Because Qemu now supports SVM, I expect to see the SVM flag in
/proc/cpuinfo, but that is not the case.

So it seems SVM support is not enabled by default configuration??

My host and guest are both 32 bit Linux, if that matters.

(And this is pure Qemu, without using KVM or KQemu)

Kqemu actually works with svm emulation.

Have you tried -cpu qemu32,+svm? I think I only enabled svm on qemu64,
because I'm not aware of 32-bit AMD CPUs that can do svm.

If you use -cpu qemu32 that also means you'll get an emulated Intel CPU.
KVM-AMD will refuse there.

Also, back when I developed it, 32-bit kvm didn't really work properly. So
please let me know what you find out!

I tried the latest Qemu code, with the following command:

qemu -m 500 -cpu qemu32,+svm -cdrom ubuntu.iso

I verified that /proc/cpuinfo has no svm flag. So SVM doesnt work on 32bit host.

I will try that with 64bit host to see how it goes.

The host doesn't matter. You can easily run qemu-system-x86_64 on a 32- bit host.

Alex

Thanks,
Jun