qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] CELF Project Proposal - Device tree support for QEMU sy

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] CELF Project Proposal - Device tree support for QEMU system emulation.
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:45:48 +0000

> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/44869
>
> I'm not sure why Paul never pushed it but I think he was able to create
> the syborg board purely from a device tree.

The patches referenced above include purely device-tree based Syborg and
Stellaris boards.

It works fairly nicely for some embedded boards, but gets fairly hairy when
you start considering more complex topologies/machines. I particular the PCI
OF/FDT bindings don't really fit what we need for qemu. Obviously full qdev
conversion is a prerequisite for device tree based configuration, and at that
time qdev was still in its infancy.

Part of the reason for posting that patch was to demonstrate the abstraction
layers required for the internal device model. Previous patches tended to be
based on the pre-existing PC commandline options, which IMO is a mistake.
Likewise if (like my implementation) you focus on embedded machines you risk
serious problems trying to extend to server class machines.

Paul