qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] CELF Project Proposal - Device tree support for QEMU sy

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] CELF Project Proposal - Device tree support for QEMU system emulation.
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:54:22 -0600

On Thursday 17 December 2009 14:29:47 Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > For background of CELF project proposals, see:
> >
> >   http://elinux.org/CELF_Open_Project_Proposal_2010

> > Integrate a flattened device tree parser into the emulator QEMU, so QEMU
> > can create board emulations on the fly (at runtime) from the same data
> > files the Linux kernel uses to attach drivers to hardware.
>
> See
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/44869
>
> I'm not sure why Paul never pushed it but I think he was able to create
> the syborg board purely from a device tree.

He'd be a great person to sponsor to get it finished/updated and checked
in, then.  (Or his company, code sourcry, would.)  Me, I just want to use the
result.

By the way, device trees were a topic at this year's kernel summit, and LWN
did an excellent write-up, as usual: http://lwn.net/Articles/357487/

(If it does get done, somebody needs to write a HOWTO...)

Rob