qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MBR has broken by the installer on qemu-system-ppc

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MBR has broken by the installer on qemu-system-ppc
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 16:52:48 +0100

On 25.12.2009, at 07:56, MICHIMURA Tadao wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to install Fedora Core 6 (ppc) using qemu-system-ppc 0.12.0.
> However the system doesn't boot properly with following messages because
> the partition table has broken.  Other versions of Fedora have same
> problem.  Do I need any tips or tricks to install Fedora Core ?
>
>>> /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-ppc -m 1024 -hdc fc6-ppc-1.img -boot c
>>>
>>> --------
>>> Welcome to OpenBIOS v1.0 built on Sep 11 2009 06:53
>>>
>>> 0 >
>>> --------
>
> - Create a disk image
> - Boot Fedora Installer from the install DVD iso image
> - Install Fedora Distribution
>  All selections are default (partition, packages, ...)
> - Shutdown Qemu
> - Boot from the disk image
> - Apear OpenBIOS's welcome message and prompt with '0 > '
> - Check the disk image using fdisk
>  Empty partition table

You're on a virtual Mac, so I guess either "pdisk" or "parted" would be the
partitioning tools of choice here.

Either way, I have never installed fedora, so I have absolutely no idea in what
state the installer is. The openSUSE 11.1 installer just broke for me on a real
machine too ...

The easiest way around this is usually to kpartx or "rescue disk" into the
image, grab the kernel and initrd and run qemu-system with -kernel and -initrd.
Those definitely do work :-).

Alex