qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: commit rules for common git tree

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: commit rules for common git tree
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 17:01:38 -0600

On 12/27/2009 04:40 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
It's not about maintainers, but people sending patches. Maintainers
can't review all the patches in small details. People writing patches,
should think about the impact it can have on linux-user or non-i386
system target,

Better documentation is needed for this.  As it is absent, maintainers
should let people know when issues are discovered, and then controbutors
will learn.  Fixing bugs behind everyone's back will not do this.

All technical arguments aside, I think it really just comes down to people liking to feel included. When a patch gets posted to the list, at least people feel like they had a chance to review and possible suggest improvements and/or point out flaws.

I think it's a good idea to use the mailing list whenever possible. Likewise, if you see a patch go in that you think would have benefited from being on the list, point it out. People are reasonable and if you have a good suggestion, they'll value your input and be likely to seek it out in the future.

Personally, I think blanket rules get in the way more than they help and the only thing that's worse is arguing about the merits of them :-)

I am fine sending "applied" mails, but I will most probably review less
patches. Please don't complain.

Why should I complain? The winner takes it all ... ^?^?^?^?^?^?^?^?^?^?^?^?^?^?
(sorry got carried away)

qemu has grown very, very rapidly in the past year. We've had a lot of growing pains as a result. I think it's very important for us to focus on how we can improve our processes and it's something I'm very interested in for next year.

I also think everyone is trying their best and some more constructive criticism would be appreciated verses the periodic complaint threads that have become the norm. I understand they're somewhat cathartic but it can be frustrating when you're on the receiving end.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net