qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] "Hot" resizing QCow2 image using a simple python script

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] "Hot" resizing QCow2 image using a simple python script
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:18:55 +0100

Laurent Coustet schrieb:
> I've seen the code on git a little bit, seems rather simple to me, but
> what do you think is the better way to integrate such a fonctionality
> ? New command ?
>
> The best approch for me I think is to extend "convert".
>
> Example:
> qemu-img -f qcow2 -O qcow2 original5G.qcow2 output10G.qcow2 +5G
>
> Thanks,

Extending convert would be good if you want to create a new image.
This syntax might be better (no new parameter, final size instead of delta):

qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O qcow2 -o size=10G original5G.qcow2
output10G.qcow2

For resizing an existing image, a new command is needed:

qemu-img resize -f qcow2 -o size=10G original5G.qcow2

Although there is no urgent need for either variant...

Regards
Stefan