qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Planning for 0.13

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Planning for 0.13
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 06:36:26 -0600

On 01/06/2010 04:49 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
What's the remaining problem?
IIRC, proper memory/IO access filtering (get rid of map functions) and
PCI Express.

vepa networking

To me, this is covered with helpers.  I really want to get qemu out of
the network setup business specifically because of things like vepa,
vmtag, and all of the other weird things that can be done.
I don't think you can now make vepa work this way.  For existing
kernels, they only way I see is using packet sockets, and that code
already mostly works.  One day, when macvtap is ready - who knows. But
waiting for that would mean we won't have it in 0.13.

We can use helpers for more than just tun/tap. My current thinking for helpers is that they would give qemu an fd and then tell qemu how to work with it. Basically, use read/write vs. send/recv, whether to use a virtio-net header or not, etc.

That would allow a helper to open a raw socket, configure macvlan, and then hand the fd over to qemu and tell qemu how to use it.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori