qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] -serial stdio broken

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] -serial stdio broken
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:01:11 -0600

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 01:32:09PM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
   Hi,

So what seems to be happening here is there is an implicit monitor
being set up which grabs stdio.  Because:

    #define STDIO_MAX_CLIENTS 1

my own -serial stdio option subsequently fails.  This is a regression
over previous behaviour.  I didn't specify a monitor device, because I
don't want one, and previous versions of qemu didn't give me one in
nographic mode.
They gave you a monitor too.  Try typing 'Ctrl-A c' on stdio, and you'll
see.  qemu tries to be more clever than you.  Which sucks IMHO.  But
getting rid of that without adding regressions seems to be really hard

Easiest way to workaround this is to simply not specify '-serial stdio'.
  It is the default anyway for -nographic, so you don't have to.
I want to see the output of the serial port on stdio though.  I don't
care at all about the monitor.

-nographic gives you that.

nographic is a terrible name. It really is, use this mode if you want to run something and only interact with it through the serial console.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori