qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFD] virtio: Add memory statistics reporting to th

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFD] virtio: Add memory statistics reporting to the balloon driver
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:56:19 -0600

On 01/07/2010 10:39 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 01/07/2010 06:27 PM, Adam Litke wrote:

I think 'info-balloon' should be synchronous and without side-effects.
ie return the current stats that QEMU has. We could then add a separate
'refresh-balloon' command + async event notification when that completes.
The tool that is requiring the stats could thus refresh as often as it
likes.
This would work well for the QMP case, but what about for a traditional
monitor?  We could include a sequence number or timestamp in the memory
stats results so the user could tell that they were updated.  This
doesn't seem very user friendly though

A user would have an easier time logging into the guest and using its native tools.

Yeah, without objections, I like having info-balloon attempt to refresh stats, timeout after 10s, and return the last reported stats. I think it also satisfies danpb's criteria of not wasting cpu cycles polling.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori