qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [ kvm-Bugs-2907597 ] qemu vnc server clips at 2560x1600

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [ kvm-Bugs-2907597 ] qemu vnc server clips at 2560x1600
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 07:53:05 -0600

On 01/10/2010 10:30 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 01/10/2010 06:26 PM, SourceForge.net wrote:
Initial Comment:
So I am running using the VESA driver to run an Ubuntu 9.10 guest at 2560x1600 (I had to modify the xserver-video-vesa package to remove an internal screen limit of 2048x2048 in the xorg vesa driver) and everything works great except that the qemu vnc server appears to clip at this resolution. The problem goes away if I run 1900x1200 and it doesn't change if I run 16bit depth or 24bit depth.

I have attached two screenshots, the first is vncing directly into qemu (which exhibits the problem) and the second is vncing to a vnc server I have running in the guest which doesn't have the problem.

I poked around in vnc.c and couldn't see any limits but I feel like its a buffer limit of some kind.

Also if you look very closely at the first image you can see that the first row is drawn correctly all the way across but subsequent rows are not.

If you need more information doesn't hesitate to ask.

Anthony, can you take a look at this? Seems like a serious issue, could find nothing obvious in vnc.c.

VNC_MAX_WIDTH and VNC_MAX_HEIGHT in vnc.h are currently defined to 2048. We do dirty tracking with a bitmap and that bitmap is currently a fixed size.

2048 is bigger than any physical screen that I know of so I assume this is a multiple monitor scenario. Long term, I think exposing multiple monitors to the guest is a better approach for this kind of functionality.

Since these resolutions for a single screen don't really exist, this is largely an untested path within the guest.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori