qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] API change for pci_set_word and related functions

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] API change for pci_set_word and related functions
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:12:25 -0600

On 01/11/2010 04:10 PM, Stefan Weil wrote:
I haven't read this whole thread, but I really prefer things like

pci_set_vendor_id(pci_dev, XXXX);

A close alternative, would be some refactoring to allow PCI config
space to be represented as a C structure.  Gerd had some patches at
one point for this.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori
This is a good solution for the standard configuration entries,
so most code could use such calls if they were complete.

For entries above offset 0x40, I'm afraid that it won't work
(neither with individual functions nor with a C structure).

Which is fine. Device specific entries in the config space are uncommon compared to the standard entries. The same model could apply (devices write their own wrapper functions).

The problem with the set_word interface is that quite a lot of important config space fields are stored in a byte or less.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,

Stefan Weil