qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] New naming rules for GPXE romfiles

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] New naming rules for GPXE romfiles
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:23:59 +0100

Am 11.01.2010 22:18, schrieb Stefan Weil:
> The current names of GPXE romfiles are something like
> pxe-e1000.bin, pxe-ne2k_pci.bin, pxe-rtl8139.bin.
>
> This was adequate when these names were computed
> by a simple rule using the device name.
>
> Today, an ethernet device can be associated to any
> romfile name.
>
> Etherboot's Rom-o-Matic (which creates qemu's romfiles)
> creates names like gpxe-0.9.9-80861209.rom.
>
> I don't think it would be good to use etherboot's names
> because they contain the gpxe version (0.9.9) which
> might change.
>
> But a modified name without the gpxe version like
> gpxe-80861209.rom would have some advantages:
>
> * gpxe* is better than pxe* because the files contain
>   a gPXE boot ROM - not a proprietary PXE ROM.
>
> * The romfiles are ROM files, not undefined binaries,
>   so *.rom looks better than *.bin.
>
> * For drivers like eepro100.c which implement several devices,
>   a naming rule based on PCI device and vendor id (80861209)
>   is better than a rule based on device names:
>   devices with same ids can share the same romfile.

I dislike this part of your suggestion. Everyone knows what a pcnet is,
but I guess most people don't know its PCI device/vendor ID. So it would
add files that most people can't associate with anything specific. Maybe
you could name your files gpxe-eepro100-vendor_dev.rom and just leave
vendor_dev out for devices with just one ID?

I'm fine with the other suggestions, though.

Kevin