qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC, PATCH 10/11] qdev: Add do_info_qbus and friends.

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC, PATCH 10/11] qdev: Add do_info_qbus and friends.
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:59:14 +0100

On 01/18/10 13:34, Markus Armbruster wrote:
However, because there are both device properties and bus properties
(really: device properties common to all devices on this bus), their
names can clash.  Device properties take precedence (see
qdev_prop_find()).  Hmm, qdev_printf() prints even overridden bus
properties, not sure that's appropriate.  Gerd?

IMHO they must not clash.  This isn't enforced in any way though.

If they must not clash, then it makes no sense to invent a fancy prefix
to cope with clashes, I think.

I've added the bus- and dev- prefixes to make clear where the properties come from (BusInfo or DeviceInfo) for informational purposes, not to avoid clashes. We could just drop that ...

Alternatively, we could declare devices overriding properties inherited
from the bus a feature.

No, this is just asking for trouble IMHO.

cheers,
  Gerd